Friday, April 12, 2013

Sell/Store/Ship/Shitcan


I began to look at everything in my house in terms of four categories: Sell/Store/Ship/Shitcan. Can I sell it in the Estate Sale or donate it (Sell)? Does it have irreplaceable value to me (Store)? Do I want to take it to South Africa with me (Ship)? Is it time to say bye-bye (Shitcan)?

multiple dumpsters!
Furniture, china and silver, books, art, collectables, souvenirs, family heirlooms, antiques, photographs & negatives, my tartanware collection, Christmas decorations, - my entire life had to be examined and categorized, separated and boxed. Some things were relatively easy. Does it have sentimental value? Will the boys want it someday? Is it easily replaced? Will it fit into my lifestyle if and when I ever return to the States? That last question was particularly tough because I had no idea when or if we would return or where for that matter. I had to take a leap of faith here and surmise that yes, I would return someday, it will probably be to a little cottage by the sea somewhere near wherever my sons are settled and that it will most likely be on the west coast somewhere in California.



sell on consignment
The toughest part by far were my clothes. For one thing I hardly ever got rid of anything. I didn’t have to. For an old house we had an enormous amount of closet space and if we couldn’t fit it in the closets or in the massive wardrobes in my dressing room, there was always the attic or the huge cedar closet in the guest room. I did offload all my tacky Christmas sweaters and 80’s big-shouldered jackets in the garage sale I had in September but that was about it. I really do wear most of the clothes I have and fashion is important to me. I love to shop and buy and I did a lot of both over the years. 

store
And anyway, what do they wear in South Africa? I do want to stand out as a foreigner; I’d like to blend. From the few times I have been there and keeping in mind the lifestyle I hope to adopt, I will have to make some assumptions. Probably not a lot of vintage in the South African wardrobe but I love my vintage, Store. They seem pretty laid back and casual and I like to buy new for special occasions anyway, so ditto with the gowns and furs, Store. Coats? I hear it gets chilly at night in the winter, Ship a couple, Store the majority. There is a South African Fashion Week but I wouldn’t call it cutting edge compared to NY or Paris, so anything high fashion, Sell. Unless it has future vintage possibilities, then Store. Anything animal print, Ship. Shoes and bags follow suit. Nantucket lightship basket purse? Store. Ship some winter resort clothes and ski wear in case we go skiing in Africa (we will at least once). Store the rest in Colorado where my sister lives and where we will most likely ski when we are back in the States. Beach and sailing gear, for sure Ship. The rest of my clothes I can sell or donate.

Then there's my jewelry. Everyone likes to tell you about the crime and security issues in the cities in Africa so I probably won’t be wearing a lot of fine jewelry there. And since most of my jewelry is antique or vintage anyway, has high sentimental value and is definitely irreplaceable, Store, Store, Store! Besides, I am sure I will take advantage of the tribal jewelry opportunities (so chic!) and Jo’burg is the Gold City and Land of the Blood Diamond. Must make room!

Wine? We have about five cases of fine vintage wine that we just can’t and do not want to drink before we move. It will last for some time yet. South Africa has wine we can drink today. Once again, must make room! My sister has a wine cellar, so cellar and Store. 

Plants? Had a greenhouse, a conservatory and a house full of plants. Will try to find good homes for all. Besides I can’t wait to get my hands dirty with some South African flora.
give it away!


Liquor? Drink what I can. I will surely need it! Give away the rest.






our storage unit under construction in the barn


It is hard to believe that it is possible to close up shop on our life in the USA but basically that is what we did. It only took nine months which coincidentally is the same time it takes to have a baby. So metaphorically speaking, I just gave birth to a new life in South Africa! Bring it on baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment